The day of reckoning finally arrived: we were able to move in to the house. After many trips back and forth to load the large items in his truck and the smaller ones in mine, we made our final trek on Monday. Dan had to turn the keys in Monday because we didn't make it to the office in time. (Oh well.) We were trying to sell his TV to someone on craigslist so we waited and waited but the person was a no show. Thanks random craigslist bunghole!
It's been a LOT of work this week. I've been trying to cram 50 things a day into a day that contains slots for only 10 of those things. We at least now have the living room relatively arranged with how we want it. It also helps that the living room looks 20 times better than every other room in the house because it's the only one we've completely painted and hung curtains in. All other rooms are currently works in progress. Before school/work starts back up again I'd like to get the bathroom painted as well as the dining room. And of course the dining room can't be painted until I clean it out of old furniture I'm trying to sell. There's also a pantry cupboard in here that needs to go in the laundry room - which of COURSE can't go in there until the laundry room is done! Sometimes remodeling is so frustrating because it's a huge chain and things cannot be done until OTHER things are done.
Once we get things more organized and put in appropriate places I will be able to continue painting throughout the house. The bathroom is my next target so that we can hang shelving once I'm done. (Pretty silly to hang shelving and then attempt to paint around it.)
And I swear photos are coming soon. I am the worst at that.
I spent the weekend cleaning all of the trim with a mixture of water and TSP to ready it for the oil based primer I purchased. After painting all of the trim with said oil based paint and waiting for it to dry I happened to look at the back of the can. "Do not use TSP." Well poop. Strike one.
I left the house and let it dry overnight. The next day I drove to the local hardware store and used a $10 off $30 or more coupon to purchase a gallon of white paint to go over the primed sections. It was nice to finally be able to paint without having to wear a heavy duty mask. PROGRESS! I left to allow it to dry for another day or two. The mistake (or strike 2) I made in this was then going online and reading about how other people paint to make sure I did it right. Because according to the paint experts of the internet, I've done everything wrong. From paint technique to dry time to brushes used - everything was wrong. My boyfriend keeps trying to assure me what I did was fine, that the paint won't flake and fall off and that I won't ever have to repeat what I've already done. Frankly if it did start peeling off I would just embrace the whole haunted house theme and roll with it. I don't have it within me to start over and try again at this moment.
Today, because Sherwin Williams was running a huge sale, I bought 6 gallons of paint for the living room, dining room, and bathroom. If I'm lucky I might even get a bedroom or laundry room out of it! I plan on taping off the ceiling tomorrow so I can paint the molding at the top. After a nice dry time, I'll tape all of the trim and get those walls painted.
It's now officially 1 week until move time! SO much to do, AHHHHH!
With the summer in full swing, various bumps in the road of life are making it harder to continue working on the house with a steady schedule. (Of course this stresses me out to the highest level. We have to be out of our apartment by the end of July. AHHHH!)
I've nearly stripped the entire "inside" of the living room and have begun to migrate into the dining room. I'm glad I didn't think about, or really have knowledge of, the scope of this project. Otherwise I probably would have decided not to do it. Today I purchased another gallon jug of Strypeeze at the local hardware store and worked for a few hours trying to get the varnish off from the pillars. I've found it's much easier to wipe curved and rounded areas off with shop towels rather than try to use a scraper.
Having had no guidance with this process, I really hope I'm doing it right. Thus far it's been apply lots of varnish remover, scrape, repeat. When the area is clear, I wipe it down with a mixture of water and TSP and let that dry. After, I apply wood filler to any uneven areas and let THAT dry. Then I sand everything down. Final step? Wipe all the dust off so it's clean and prepped for some primer.
I've picked the paint color the living room and dining room will end up being - and possibly the kitchen! The previous owners used one paint color over the whole house. The only words you could use to describe it are "plain", "neutral", and "warm putty". It's not offensive, but definitely not the comfortable, cooler look we're going for. I've found a nice light blue-grey that goes perfectly with our tastes, the curtains (very important), and white trim.
We've been taking photos all during this whole process. It's nice to actually SEE the progress you're making when everything feels like it's going at a snails pace.
My "New" House Blog
I've never purchased a house, haven't a clue what I'm up to, but I still plan on doing home improvement projects that reflect my personality and sense of design.
In keeping with my need for record-keeping, all of my achievements and mistakes will be broadcast here (preferably more achievements and less mistakes). Hopefully this will offer insight to those trying to do what I've gone through!
I came from a family that valued education. (For the record, getting a degree in design was not part of that "value in education" piece.) I pursued my degree anyway and now am pushing towards my dream of becoming a craftsperson, using the house I'm buying as a practice run!