Work is going well if not VERY slow with the house. I've taken lots of photos that I will hopefully be able to upload side by side with the changes we've made. I've continued stripping the trim of the strange alligator-like varnish covering every inch of the house. I can't WAIT to see it painted with a fresh coat of white.
My boyfriend accuses me of putting the cart ahead of the horse and focusing on too broad of a spectrum. (Confession: it's true.) I get so excited about all of the things I WANT to do that I focus on ALL of the things - at once! Unfortunately it will be at least a few years before the interior of the house is something I'm semi-okay with.
We're headed there as a team tomorrow after he gets home from work so he can complete gutting the laundry room while I hopefully finish pulling the nasty trim gunk off the windows.
Wish us luck!
Today marked the official first day of adding my touch to the house. Because we're waiting to begin demolition until tomorrow, I decided today was a good day for the beginning of weeding and gardening. This house has a LOT of weeds.
A quick drive to Meijer netted me far more than what the trip was intended for. But hey, now there are strawberries and rhubarb planted! Gardening and digging holes through layers of roots and bullshit is not for sissies. I worked up a really good sweat and felt AMAZING when I was done. Living in apartments makes you miss out on the glory years of gardening. It is also extremely time consuming. I'm fairly certain I have the tiniest of areas weeded in comparison to the time I spent in it. But hey, it's alright, I have all summer! The goal is to mold it into what I want it to be during next spring and summer.
We've also begun demolition on the laundry room. Fortunately there were no dead bodies or secret hordes of spiders discovered underneath the floorboards. I was sanding in the living room but whatever is on the walls does NOT want to remove itself. So my new agenda is to buy the super-plus-extra-angry sand paper to attach to my sander and release my rage on the wood trim.
Update: Apparently even super-extra-angry sand paper does not work. I had to purchase Strypeeze and will spend the next 20 years of my life vanquishing the nastiness that is old, textured varnish.
July is going to be one tiring month.
I have QUITE the update. In short: we got the house yesterday! OH YEAH!
In long: I received an email Wednesday saying that the loan went through RD and we were ready to set a closing date. For Friday. AHHH! TOO SOON! It was a mad scramble to get insurance for the house together as well as getting all my house-ducks in a row. (Calling to get utilities switched into my name, getting immediately-needed things packed, etc.) In the end it all worked out. I left work Friday (which happened to be my final day before the summer) and drove straight to the closing. I was brought into a room where 2 people who were probably not very interested in their jobs had me sign papers until my hand fell off. Oh, and to be fair to them, that job has to be repetitious and boring.
When I walked out of the office I was handed keys to the house. I gave my thanks to the realtor and got in the car. Cue the big smile and sigh of relief. I sent a photo of the keys in my hand to the man of the new house. He was elated. (I think.)
Now the REAL challenges begin. We've decided to demo the entrance/laundry room and redo everything prior to moving in. So much to do and so little time to do it before the move! I will be taking pictures soon of all of the befores so that the afters mean that much more.
It's hard to believe that it's been so long since I've posted and so little has happened. (The last date I posted was WEEKS ago and I'm practically in the same spot. YIKES!)
The mortgage company requested my boyfriend's tax transcripts. Unfortunately I couldn't get them online, despite it being the quickest way, because some wads of crap decided it was a brilliant idea to hack the IRS. We signed a paper allowing the company to access his records. Unfortunately they submitted the paperwork with an incorrect address (the address you submit must match the address on your tax papers). Everything was kicked back and they had to resubmit our paperwork with the correct information. This is the latest lesson in the process not being as important to anyone as much as you. I thought about it later and it seemed strange that this wasn't something they thought about. They already knew we've been living at our current apartment for less than a year. Why would that be the address on file for taxes from two years ago?
The entire process has stretched me to my stress limit. I drive myself crazy with negative questions all of the time:
"What if the people get mad at how long we're taking and back out?"
"What if because we're taking so long the rate we had locked in goes up?"
"What if this takes SO LONG that we miss our close date? What if we have to extend it? What if we have to extend it PAST our move out date from our apartment?"
"WHAT IF I JUST DON'T GET THE HOUSE?!?!"
I'm surprised I don't have random bald spots on my head.
Supposedly I'm supposed to hear on Monday or Tuesday if they got the information they need so that the loan can be submitted for final approval. We'll see!
My "New" House Blog
I've never purchased a house, haven't a clue what I'm up to, but I still plan on doing home improvement projects that reflect my personality and sense of design.
In keeping with my need for record-keeping, all of my achievements and mistakes will be broadcast here (preferably more achievements and less mistakes). Hopefully this will offer insight to those trying to do what I've gone through!
I came from a family that valued education. (For the record, getting a degree in design was not part of that "value in education" piece.) I pursued my degree anyway and now am pushing towards my dream of becoming a craftsperson, using the house I'm buying as a practice run!